Words are kinda my thing. Reading them. Writing them. Cobbling them together into stories about places and people and creatures that have no right to exist, yet keep insisting that they do.
Yes, I’m one of those people who reads Lord of the Rings once a year, on average. One of those people who plays computer games for the storyline and characters rather than the loot. Who has to store most of his actual library in bins in the basement, because there’s not enough shelf space in the rest of the house. And who holds conversations with imaginary people without even wondering whether medicinal intervention might be a wise option.
When I set out to establish myself as an author, a lot of things happened along the way that I didn’t expect…such as a career in publishing, living in NYC for a few years, and eventually migrating from the 9-5 grind to a full-time freelance writing gig!
While my freelance writing pays the bills for now, fiction remains my first true passion. My stories tend to veer between urban fantasy and epic fantasy, with the occasional scifi, horror, or humor element stirred in for good measure.
I believe stories have the ability to impact our deepest feelings and beliefs–especially those stories that tear us out of the “normal” world we live in and thrust us into realities that thumb their noses at the laws of physics and get us to believe in six impossible things before breakfast each day.
Stories influence how we perceive the world.
Stories help us understand more about who we are and who we want to become.
They do all that and so much more, and that’s just part of why I love them so much, and why I’m here to tell as many as I can before my own story ends.
If you’d like to learn more about the author, here are a wide range of places he’s appeared online:
- Writing from the Peak – Faculty Interview: Josh Vogt
- Science Fiction and Hope
- Author Interview on The Science of Fiction
- For Love of the Flash (Fiction)
- My Words, Their World: On Writing Tie-In Fiction
- An interview about Forge of Ashes
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 281): An Interview With Josh Vogt
- Tropes in Genre Fiction: Beyond the Beards – Deciphering the Surly Dwarf!
- That’s Absurd! – Bringing Humor into the Story
- On Being a Reading Writer
- The Parallels Between Writing and Fitness
- Guest Post and Enter the Janitor Giveaway!
- My First r/Fantasy Ask-Me-Anything
- The Creative Flexibility of…Plotting and Outlining?
- Creative Colleagues via Dave Gross
- Writing Tie-ins with Josh Vogt, Stephanie Lorée, and Gary Kloster
- Subsuming the Myths – Stealing for My Story
- Episode 132 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Carrie Patel and Josh Vogt
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writer’s Chat (via Twitter) Transcript
- Starlight Presents: Josh Vogt
- My Favorite Board Game: Scotland Yard
- Contemporary Fantasy: This is Gonna Get Messy
- Interview with Josh Vogt
- The Hook: Enter the Janitor