There are a lot of ways to describe what I do. “Working the word mines.” “Bleeding onto the page.” “Arguing with the voices in my head…”
(Don’t worry too much about that last one. It’s the good kind of crazy.)
In the end, though, I can sum it up in one word: Storytelling.
Stories give us light in a dark world.
Stories influence how we perceive that world.
Stories help us understand more about who we are and who we want to become.
They do all that and so much more. That’s just part of why I love them so much, and why I’m here to tell as many as I can before my own story ends. I believe stories have the ability to impact our deepest feelings and beliefs–especially those stories that tear us out of the “normal” world we live in and thrust us into realities that thumb their noses at the laws of physics and get us to believe in six impossible things before breakfast each day. My hope is that the stories I create–whether as a speculative fiction author or freelance copywriter–will have some, however big or small, positive impact on those who read them. It’s an adventure I’m blessed to be on every day, and I hope you join me for it.
When I’m not storytelling, you can usually find me either training for a Spartan Race or Tough Mudder, experimenting with a new dinner recipe, selling books and speaking at conventions, at a game night with friends, hiking and fly fishing, or just rambling around town to see where I end up.
If you’d like to learn more about the author, here are a wide range of places he’s appeared online:
- Writing from the Peak – Faculty Interview: Josh Vogt
- Science Fiction and Hope
- Author Interview on The Science of Fiction
- For Love of the Flash (Fiction)
- My Words, Their World: On Writing Tie-In Fiction
- An interview about Forge of Ashes
- The SF Signal Podcast (Episode 281): An Interview With Josh Vogt
- Tropes in Genre Fiction: Beyond the Beards – Deciphering the Surly Dwarf!
- That’s Absurd! – Bringing Humor into the Story
- On Being a Reading Writer
- The Parallels Between Writing and Fitness
- Guest Post and Enter the Janitor Giveaway!
- My First r/Fantasy Ask-Me-Anything
- The Creative Flexibility of…Plotting and Outlining?
- Creative Colleagues via Dave Gross
- Writing Tie-ins with Josh Vogt, Stephanie Lorée, and Gary Kloster
- Subsuming the Myths – Stealing for My Story
- Episode 132 of Speculate!–Roundtable Discussion with Carrie Patel and Josh Vogt
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writer’s Chat (via Twitter) Transcript
- Starlight Presents: Josh Vogt
- My Favorite Board Game: Scotland Yard
- Contemporary Fantasy: This is Gonna Get Messy
- Interview with Josh Vogt
- The Hook: Enter the Janitor